Lat/Long50 42 40N/01 08 38W .Approx 150 feet ASL.
RUNWAYS :Grass Length and heading not known.
Ryde Airport opened on 27th June 1932 on 823 acres purchased for the purpose from Barnsley Farm(see map above) by Wight Aviation Ltd(later renamed Isle of Wight Aviation Ltd).Landing run available was 670 yds .The first arrival Portsmouth ,Southsea and Isle of Wight Aviation's Wessex G-ABVB arrived from Portsmouth. PSIOWA operated services from Ryde to Portsmouth,Shoreham and Shanklin(Apse). In addition services were later operated by Railway Air Services and Channel Air Ferries.
The official name of the new aerodrome was "Isle of Wight Air Port".Wight Aviation also operated the Apse airfield(Shanklin/Sandown).Picture below shows the terminal and control tower.
The airfield was closed and the landing area obstructed on 3rd September 1939 for the duration of the war.Due to government restrictions on operation of privately owned airline services(the objective was that the state owned airlines would monopolise all scheduled services),Ryde remained unused for some time after the war.The Ryde town council apparently had ambitious plans for postwar expansion of the airfield (see map below)but these were evidently abandoned when it became apparent that hoped for airline services were not going to happen.However it was officially reopened on 6th May 1950 for both private flying and charter operations.Unfortunately the airfield was not financially viable and closed again after a short time.The land was sold in the late 50s for development.
Today no sign of the airport remains,and the site is now occupied by a liesure centre and supermarket.